The Winter People by Rebekah L. Purdy

The Winter People - Rebekah L. Purdy

I was a little lost at the beginning of this book - I'm sure I felt the same way Salome felt when she saw the strange figures and heard the voices. I had no idea what was going on. Slowly several boys make their way into her life and you begin to wonder which ones she should really trust. You know they can't all be nice guys - there has to be a bad guy after all.

Salome's problem seems to be that winter (the season) hates her. She's terrified of anything that has to do with the season - snow, cold, ice, etc. Every winter it seems to get worse. She has episodes where she swears she sees figures and glowing eyes in the woods and voices all around her. This winter it has been much worse. She is being attacked and she doesn't understand why - and the people that do know why aren't able to speak of it.

The story has a mystery wrapped up in it as Salome tries to figure out the three boys in her life - Colton, Gareth, and Nevin. I kept going back and forth with all of them trying to decide which one was the good one. All three were well written and Purdy did a good job of keeping the mystery alive for a very long time without making it tiresome.

There is a lot of magic at play as well, but it is very subtle and plays around in the background of the story for the most part. Towards the end it becomes much more prevalent, but since we've been toying with the idea of it for most of the book - it doesn't come as a shock to see it. I really enjoyed this story - I wish I had known a bit more near the beginning so that I hadn't felt so lost as a reader though.

*This book was received in exchange for an honest review*

Source: http://hotofftheshelves.blogspot.com/2014/09/review-winter-people-by-rebekah-l-purdy.html