Fortune's Son by Emery Lee

Fortune's Son - Emery Lee

This is one the most detailed historical fictions I have ever read. That is a good thing and and a bad thing. It's good because the story is really brought to life and the world Emery Lee creates is vibrant and alive. It's a bad thing because, since I don't know tons about the Georgian period, there were things I just didn't quite understand. It seemed like everyone had three, if not more, names and at times it was hard to keep track of them all.

I really enjoyed watching Phillip maneuver his way through the gaming tables of England. I think I learned more about how to cheat at dice and cards in this book than anything else. Susannah, on the other hand, isn't quite as good at the game. But she wants to learn - and while Phillip teaches her they fall in love. Sound like a romance? While it has a lot of romantic elements - this is definitely not an historical romance.

Lots of twists and turns that eventually take us back to the story in book one of the Georgian Gamesters. Very well rounded and well written. I hope to see more about this world soon.

Source: http://www.hotofftheshelves.com/2015/11/fortunes-son-by-emery-lee-review.html