Defiance Rising by Amy Miles

Defiance Rising - Amy Miles

I generally love a good sci-fi dystopia, but this one fell a little flat for me. It got off to a great start, but I quickly stopped enjoying Illyria's sarcastic attitude that seemed to pervade every conversation she had. Her first trip to the city left me tons of questions - in a good way - it was very well done. But I disliked Bastian as well. He became far too brooding and moody for my tastes. Eamon, on the other hand, just never seemed to get it. There was no development, and I felt very little emotion from him.

The love triangle seems neverending. I don't mind a little hesitation or conflict between what is confortable and what is new and exciting, but Illyria seems to choose wrong every step of the way. And what's worse is she seems to know it! But just keeps going anyways! I really couldn't relate to her at all.

The world building was a lot of fun. I loved the conflict with the aliens and the history that we learn as the story continues. It was quite fascinating. It's just hard to enjoy a story when you can't seem to like the main characters.

*This book was received in exchange for an honest review*

Source: http://www.hotofftheshelves.com/2016/04/defiance-rising-by-amy-miles-review.html