Chasing the Star Garden (The Airship Racing Chronicles #1) by Melanie Karsak

Chasing the Star Garden - Melanie Karsak

This was a fantastic steam punk adventure. It had a bit of an Indiana Jones feel - only he would be a female air ship racer instead of an archaeologist. I loved the history that was mixed into the storyline of the gods and goddesses and their mythical followings. As Lily searches for an ancient artifact, the steam punk world comes to life in all its glory. The tech was everywhere - from the clothing, the vehicles, and even the street vendors. I loved how it was such a feature in the story and not just part of the background. There was a hint of a romance in the story as well - but not nearly enough to actually call the story a romance book.

The only part that I didn't particularly care for was the way we were introduced to Lily's past. It was a little too sporadic and random in my mind. Also, there is heavy usage of drug addiction - opium, absinthe, and morphine - if this bothers you I would steer clear. It's an important part of the story and is actually something that becomes a way for the characters to really become better people in the end as they fight it.